Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Have you seen green onion flower?

Photo credit: Me &... my cell phone ^^


Have you seen green onion flower? Me? 
No. 
Not until last week ;) 













Last week, I didn't believe my eyes for some seconds when I noticed a flower on top of the green onion I planted last year. This was such a nice surprise to me.


I was not a very keen gardener, and we don't have a garden for now. But there was a time when I did not want to throw the withered and browned green onions away, so I looked for some vacant space in the flower bed in front of our apartment and planted them. Some time after that, a little green leaf popped up from one of the bulbs. I was so glad to see it come back to life and regrow into greens. I was tempted to think how handy it would be to harvest these greens for dinner :D. But such intention soon evaporated when some mischievous dog upstairs sometimes innocently"visited" the garden to dig up soil and mess things up. I didn't see it but whether it peed there or not was not hard to tell. So I never thought of harvesting the greens for dinner again and just left the green onion there intact :D. But I still looked at it now and then, and found some pure joy in seeing it growing green and perky...


And now, it's so surprising that it flowers ^^. I have eaten green onions for that many years but never have I known green onions also have flowers. And even if I knew, I supposed their flower would grow from a stem similar to that of Chinese leek or other kinds of flowers'. But here is how interesting it is. The flower just nicely sits on the tip of ... a leaf ?

Flower from the green onion flower I planted. 

The flower just nicely sits on a round and empty tube that is exactly the same as its normal leaf.


When the flower opens wider, it looks so cute.

A lovely bouquet of florets and bouquets of florets inside


I read somewhere that green onion flower is also ... edible. But it is blooming and I can't stand the thought of biting, chewing and crushing this lovely flower.

I prefer to put it into a little vase.




It looks nice on a side table ...


or by the window...


After a few days in the vase, the stem now grows up straight.



The flower blooms into beautiful. 



I am grateful to think how this little plant has sweetly rewarded me... 
though I've never expected it to...
and I am grateful to learn that even a little plant knows to regrow, grow straight, and live its quiet and simple life beautifully.


"Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 
Each day is as special as you want it to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...