Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My drawings

Late sunlight sneaking through the window when I was drawing...

So I am drawing again. After quite many years.

I remember, when I was young, I once read a question of why bother to draw while we can photograph. 

At that time, I was confused and unsure of an answer.
But now, I have developed more insight.


Let me share with you my drawings and some fun that I have with drawing.
And this part is also fun - to look at my works again and title them ;) 


***


Graphite 



Going out 
(limited time, life drawing from a still statue, not a real goose ;))








A rose 
Last spring, we had a good time strolling around the neighborhood, taking photos of flowers for my drawing.  I chose a photo of a rose, cut up the photo into different pieces and rearranged these pieces into a collage, then drew from this new composition. The effect of this collage-based drawing was nice.


This drawing looked bold and better the moment I finished it. It's a pity that after days, the dark value has faded away. But that doesn't matter. Fond memories are still there, in the drawing.

Graphite is shiny, which is known as a disadvantage of the medium. But it's also fun to see the drawing glimmer when we turn the paper under the light.





Charcoal




Shadows 
My first experiment with charcoal.
It's messy and inhaling fine charcoal particles is not good at all.  But I love its true black.








Nestled in nature

This drawing is a reminiscence of not only the serene landscape but also the picture of me walking around to find a lovely building to draw, and the joy when I found this place.
Charming trees and their shade draw viewer's attention to the focal point of the work, which is the building. Far away are some pine trees and shrubs. This composition helps create space and depth for the work.
I use charcoal in this drawing. Working with charcoal is harder when it comes to fine lines and details of the building, but I love the true black of charcoal, which is perfect for me to demonstrate the leaf silhouette against the sky as well as the large shadow area on the ground. 



Ink and mixed media



Unhidden flower
Medium: ink.
A fast and simple negative space drawing.
Every time I look at this drawing, I remember the fragrance from the branch I picked up among many others. This branch had many white flowers but from negative space view, all of them stayed hidden except for this one flower.








Outsiders
Medium: ink and charcoal

:)





The survivor
Medium: ink and water-soluble graphite







Alone  
Medium: charcoal and ink.
I redrew a still from the movie Persepolis, 2007.  
Persepolis,2007 is an animation based on the graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi. The animation is told mainly in black and white as the leading character recalls the story of her life from being a child living in Iran at war, to a teenager in Austria, then to a mature woman. The work creatively plays with the contrast between light and shadow, sometimes very dramatic contrast bringing a great effect, sometimes transition very smoothly from black to white. Chalk texture brings great charm to the background. Clean, clear and expressive lines are effectively used to give the work an austere but very soulful look. Everything is simplified and stylized to symbolize reality rather than to make them look exactly like reality, or in other words, drawing diminishes a sense of realism and offer viewers the freedom to imagine and savor its beauty.

 I saw myself in some part of the story, and my mind somehow wandered to reminisce about my childhood, my relationships, and more... 




The room 
Medium: Pen and ink. 

I had fun adding this and that to "the room" to turn this one-point perspective drawing into the room of my dream. Isn't it lovely to relax at that white piano playing a melody, sometimes lifting your head to admire the beauty of nature outside ? 
...




***



I remember, when I was young, I once read a question of why we have to spend time drawing while we can take photos.

At that time, I just drew. I didn't give much thought. 

But now we've grown up.

I think you have your own answer. 

And I have mine.
:)





"Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 
Each day is as special as you want it to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...