Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fall foliage - Part 4 : Maple & Shining sumac

Photos on Nov 10, 2013


To me, it is interesting to watch leaves changing colors, and it is even more interesting to find out the names of these species of trees. 

In previous entries, I have written about ginkgoes and sweet gums. In this entry, I continue with the other two species of trees that have brought gorgeous fall colors to me:  maples and shining sumacs. 




MAPLES

Maple is so well-known for their full fall colors. Most pictures of autumn leaves I have seen before are maple leaves.

Maple family is large with different varieties. I wish to see all of them in the future. Here are just some photos I took with 2 maple trees. They are not in my neighborhood. When taking these photos, I did not know they are the famous maples, but their vibrant yellow easily caught my eye... 

Beautiful leaf shape... I thought of maples but was not sure... 



Their color is really beautiful - big golden leaves leisurely hanging down from branches, waving in the breeze...









Maples are burning the sky with a sea of orange





Fallen leaves are carpeting the ground with different shades of yellow.
Maple leaves are lovely curled up in the crisp autumn sun. Just looking is enough for me to feel how crunchy they are...





There are piles of dry maple leaves along sidewalk... But it's a pity that we didn't have much time to take more photos. Maple leaves are just so beautiful that I do wish to see more!! :)





SHINING SUMAC

Shining sumac is not as famous as the other types of leaves, but if you live here, you would see how beautiful they are!!

Shining sumacs are planted along the roads in my neighborhood and also in downtown. They are stunning at their peak time when the whole trees put on all eye-catching colors: fiery red, flaming orange and glowing yellow...  

I do not have a photo of their peak colors as we were so busy to take photos at that time... And when we had time for a few photos, those leaves had all gone with the wind hic. The thin leaves are very fragile, they easily rain down whenever a breeze comes by. But even when there are no more leaves left on branches, sumac trees are still beautiful thanks to their red fruits, which look like berries...

Some photos we took of sumacs' late colors.




brilliant yellow and red sumac leaves




(to be continued. )

"Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 
Each day is as special as you want it to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...