Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer & Sunflower field


... turning back, I find myself surrounded by thousands and thousands of cheerful faces, a sea of sunflowers bobbing and dancing in summer breeze...




Every season has its own pleasures (and troubles :D). So is summer. 
When summer comes, fruits ripen, a lot of fruits to pick. 
When summer comes, warmth is everywhere. No need to cover cold ears during sleep. It is just wonderful to feel cool water passing through my hands. 
When summer comes, sunflowers are in bloom. - A lovely present from summer that I have been long waiting for ;)




We set off to visit sunflower fields on a blistering summer day. Grasses are all dried up, turning all those once green hills into a color of gold. The drive turns out to be way longer due to unexpected traffic jam. But thanks to those oleander bushes, which are blooming a lovely gradient of lovely white, lilac, light pink, sweet pink, and fiery red...along the median strip, stretching into the horizon, the sunbaked road appears to be much more poetic and summery. To digress a little bit, when I was a child, I learnt that oleanders are poisonous. That's why I never liked oleanders, and that's why when I first came to California, seeing oleanders widely cultivated along freeways did surprise me; I always wondered why this kind of toxic plant was that popular. However, since the time I could not take my eyes off the elegant color concerto given by oleanders, I was convinced by how these plants could beautify the road landscape, and started to give them a more loving look. (but still bear in mind they are toxic)

... oleander bushes, gorgeously flowering white, light pink, sweet pink, lilac, and fiery red along the way - a view easily caught in summer


My face, bathed in summer heat for that long, now lifts up eagerly as I start to spot yellow patches in the distance. We take an exit to have a closer look. And I am right. Those yellow areas are sunflower fields. In this early July, some fields are still so shy, holding timid green buds; some are so radiant in full bloom, bursting with yellow; and some others are already wilted, all flowers drooping in one direction. 



The sun is burning grasses, while passing on radiance to sunflower fields



The sun was glaring down, but I can't help getting out of the car then walk on the earth road leading to the field. It was so hot that the sun-drenched land is broken with large, deep cracks though it seems to have been watered not long ago.









And here is another vast sunflower field. 
What a great delight and pleasure to behold this breathtaking sight! 


There is a surreal moment I'll never forget. On turning back to look at the sea of sunflowers behind me, I feel as if I was lost in a fairy tale where thousands and thousands of cheerful sunflowers are smiling around me, bobbing and dancing joyfully in summer breeze and sunshine...


Me - get lost in a sea of little suns



Don't worry, I am standing on the aisle, never want to damage or trample any flowers!!!




I want to take in the sight as much as I can. But 4pm. The sun is still shining so fiercely, and those busy scary bees are more than plentiful around the flowers. Otherwise, I would stay longer, and take more photos :P. Talking about the bees, whose hives are just steps away from me and the sunflower fields, they are working really hard, buzzing around noisily. Back home safe and sound, I find myself blessed and lucky not being stung by any bees. :P




And some wild sunflowers along the road ...


Summer sun has baked grasses and meadows into the color of gold










Looking back, sunflowers have followed me from my childhood through all ages and stages. I used to play with a playful Takara rock n roll dancing sunflower as a child. (It was one of my favorite childhood toys - a sunflower wearing dark glasses, dancing and playing rock n roll with an electric guitar in his arm); I dreamt of a romantic stroll in a sunflower field when I was a teenage girl; I once made a pot of paper sunflower given to someone I love; I recently built a sunflower vector in my first spring in California. And now, after a visit to sunflower fields, it seems like sunflowers has won my love forever. :)





Me - filled with sunshine and glee
Sunflowers are great mood-lifters!




"Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 
Each day is as special as you want it to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...