Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Some of my old "works"


May I wager that we all have some self-produced works in the past (drawings, paintings, writings...) that we love to see again?

When I was a pupil, then a student, I had lot of hobbies & produced quite a lot of works, these ranging from self-published books, illustrated song books, self-produced comics, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, crafty items, handmade toys, hand-writing collections, stamp collections, to a collection of my essays... what a long list! =p I always kept these carefully... as I knew someday I would love to see them again. :)



But just like our memories, these works are hiding farther and farther, deeper and deeper into the past, and are not easy to be seen again.

...
What did I lose and want to see again? 

- I once produced 2 handbooks sharing tips on handwriting... I remember they are funny and want to read them again, but now could not find them :(

- I lost all my first pencil works. I studied drawing with an artist when I was in grade 3 or so. As I was so young, he taught me some pencil work and then gave me a book and taught me how to copy pictures, or to re-draw given pictures from the book before he moved away. I remembered I did a good job and produced many pretty pencil works then. But I could not see any of these again as I lost them all when we moved our house some years later.

- My self-produced magazine got stolen in class when I was in primary school. I took it to school and then never saw it again after recess. I still remember I contributed a lot to that "magazine". I wrote tales, drew comics, and many other things that I don't remember now . I even invited friends to produce works and gave them some self-made coupons as rewards :D

together with some other paintings....

We lost one. Then we lost two. We lost two. Then we lost three T_T.  Some were lost. Some were misplaced.

Now, as I've migrated to the US, I am afraid to lose more, so last time when I was in VN, I planned to take pictures of them so that I could electronically store these precious "works". But to my disappointment, mission incomplete! :(
7 months away from home had taken more old works of mine away.... :(  I always kept these carefully, but I don't know why now I could not find them! T_T


Anyway, I found these ...


One of the handmade cards I designed and still keep. 

This is one of the cards I've made. This is for someone very special to me that year, but the card was not sent, so I still keep it till now :). I guess it was in 2006 or so.
I remember it looked just ok to me then. But now, looking at this again, to be honest, I was surprised and impressed by how creative and patient I used to be. I designed it on my own without copying anyone or any books.


The card was laid inside a soft cover to look more dreamlike :D. I made it so that each layer of the Xmas tree could be easily detached from the card. This creates some 3D effect, and when receiver flips those pieces over, he will see 3 different wishes from me to him for Xmas :). Then, he just easily attaches the layers back to the Xmas tree again to keep those wishes! (sounds complicated, but don't worry, I always have "Instructions" insert coming together with my cards =))) 

Some portraits I once drew. 

I did not go to any art classes. I just loved to draw, and drew from what I saw, as a hobby. 

As I mention above, those childhood works I produced were all lost. These are just pictures of those I drew when I was in high school or something. 

I sat in front of the mirror, looking at myself, or some old pics and then noted down what I saw by pencil...
Me on the left. My mother on the right


copy from a pic of me when I was very young  (I lost that pic too hic >_<) 

My grand aunt - Ba Hai

 As for these 2 following pics, I re-drew from some comic frames.




I'm not sure if I could draw these now =)))


And an entry about "Water hyacinth" in my sketchbook.  

I guess it was in 2003 or so, long before this blog was born.


Reading this brought me back to a time when my Mom and I "plant" a water hyacinth right in the back yard. The day the little plant quietly yet beautifully bloomed, I could not believe my eyes! Admiring it was not enough. I was so delighted and excited and wanted to capture that beautiful moment forever. But we did not have a camera then :(. Nor did I have a blog then. I just had a pencil, so I noted it down carelessly in minutes, as a sketch, just to express how wonderful that was.

Though my sketch and writing that day was not detailed or beautiful, it has been successful in keeping that magical moment alive for me - a sweet, pure and lovely experience that I long forgot. Let me remember.... It was a little tower of violet flowers, whose delicate petals were embellished with romantic, colorful eyes... 





There are still many other old "works" of mine.... Last time, I could not find them all, and I was lazy to take photos....

But next time, when I see them again, I will take photos to save them, as many as I can!!


If only I could see all of my old works again!!  :)


But one thing for sure, I might not be able to find, to touch, or to see those works from the past again, I can create new and more works in the future! ;) Hope that I will!




Related entry:


"Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 
Each day is as special as you want it to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...