Thursday, October 31, 2013

A little autumn garden for a little “pumpkin family”



Walking down the streets on these late October days, I often gaze at Halloween decorations at many houses’ front doors, which put on a spookier look with cold wind and dim light at night. As for me, Halloween this year is simply some sweet pumpkin decoration, but I am still happy and want to share with you this entry.

Do you still remember the pumpkin family I told you at the end of the recent entry “...Pumpkin fairy tale" ? So here is how they are spending their Halloween at my home. ^^


My husband first planned to buy these pumpkins home for carving. He wanted to make his first jack-o-lanterns =)). But now he is frantically busy and completely obsessed with stocks (or clumsy lazy also =D) so he just passes this pumpkin carving to me. I am no better than him actually :D, and I do not want to hurt these cute pumpkins at all and do not want to turn them into some spooky faces either :P, so… no carving this year :D. Besides, we have no glue, no color pencils, and no craft tools at home, so I just do this easy but lovely decoration: A cozy bed or garden of fall leaves for the cute pumpkin family. By this way, I can also go picking up autumn leaves and have some simple joy. 

It is a pity that here, in Sunnyvale, it is hard to find those sea of just yellow and yellow leaves like in prevalent pictures of autumn. However, there are still pretty yellow and red leaves winking on some trees. 

I first collected some leaves when we went out of the dentist’s the other day. But they were left in the car then soon got dry and crunchy. So last night, my husband and I strolled along the streets to pick home some more fall color. 

I guess you might think just like I did some months ago, when I have not been here in fall. I once assumed and expected that every leaf would soon turn into beautiful red and yellow in fall and that every street would be lit up with gorgeous fall hues. But, from what I have noticed here, there are just a few particular kinds of trees (deciduous ones) that agree to put on their elegant autumn clothes, as for others, they are so indifferent, or not fashion-conscious at all, so they now still stubbornly stick to their old dull color (they are beautifully called evergreens :D). 
That’s why we had to walk for quite a long way to find the leaves we want, but it was still such lovely time. We enjoyed a lovely night walking together, feeling the crisp, chilly autumn wind, and were glad to finally find what we were looking for. ^_^ As a beautiful saying goes, “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”, we are so happy to collect and bring home these flowers of autumn! ^^ 

I am writing a lot :P, so now stop for some pictures! 


Beautiful shape and gentle yellow? This is Ginkgo (lá rẻ quạt – ngày xưa coi phim hoạt hình Nhật Bản Hiệp sĩ lợn hay Sailor Moon gì đó nên biết, giờ mới được tận tay cầm lấy nó, thấy vui vui! Đây là loại lá xông xáo đổi màu nhất ở khu này!)



And here - the most common fall foliage in this area




Pumpkin family after a shower :P





This is the little autumn garden for our little “pumpkin family” - also the little corner of autumn in our home this year! 




If I have time, I will soon post an entry about fall foliage. 

PS: Happy Halloween everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Contents by Date

TOPICS

...